October 12, 2017
With less than three weeks until October 31st, we are officially in the Halloween spirit! We hope you’ve enjoyed our last couple of blog posts where we talked about Halloween decor and DIY treats. But, if you haven’t already, it’s time to start thinking about your costume! Here are some tips to help you outfit the entire family with the coolest costumes of 2017!
- Grab your friends and dress as the gang from a popular TV show, like Stranger Things or Game of Thrones, or movie, like It or Star Wars. Buy your costumes or get creative and DIY!
- Superheroes are ALWAYS a win! There are so many great options to choose from and you can dress up as one superhero or do it as a big group.
- Costumes that continue to be popular every year: sports teams, witches, ghosts, Disney characters, the cast of Grease or The Addams Family, just to name a few!
COSTUMES FOR THE KIDS
- Occupations, like police officer, firefighter, mailman, or construction worker, are an awesome option for kids of all ages because they love to play dress-up and wear a uniform!
- Animal costumes, like lions, cats, or mice, are adorable - the younger the child, the cuter they look!
- Disney characters make great costumes. Princes and princesses, the cast of the Descendants or Despicable Me, or good old Mickey and Minnie are sure to excite your child and make for great photo opps!
- What is cuter than a dog in a costume? We’ll answer: not much!! From sushi rolls to cowboys, here are some outfits that will make you smile! http://ow.ly/qivs30fNVaR
- As long as Fido is up for it, we say get him in on the trick-or-treating action (minus the treats - chocolate is poisonous to dogs)! Here are some more pet costumes for your dog or cat: http://ow.ly/b1Pb30fNWir
We want to know: what are you and your family dressing up as for Halloween this year?
October 5, 2017
We’re just getting our feet wet with our ‘All Things Halloween’ series on the blog. Last week, we touched on decor with some great tips and options to decorate your home. Today, we’re coming in with delicious do-it-yourself treats that will satisfy every ghost, ghoul, and goblin that RSVPs to your Halloween party!
We found some delicious, easy-to-make recipes that you and your guests can indulge in before you head out to trick-or-treat on October 31st!
Tell us which treats you plan to make to celebrate Halloween this year!
September 29, 2017
We know the fall season has just entered the building (when will the weather receive the memo?), but we couldn’t wait another MINUTE to discuss one of our favorite holidays - HALLOWEEN! We love to celebrate Halloween because it’s all about fun, family, and friends - much like your camping adventures at our resort.
We want to help you be completely prepared for Halloween. So, we’re going to run a (very exciting) 5 part blog series titled ‘All About Halloween’ to get you ready for October 31st!
To start us off, here is All About Halloween: Decor!
- Party City has an amazing kid-friendly section of goodies this year. Giant hanging friendly ghosts, jack-o-lanterns, and happy ghouls, just to name a few. There are so many great options: http://ow.ly/om4K30ftrrj
- You’ll get more smiles than scares with POPSUGAR’s DIY cute Halloween decorations! You can get the kids involved and have them help you make some garland, banners, treat dishes, and more. Check out all the details: http://ow.ly/aMAH30ftrXS
- Super Spooky:
- Spirit Halloween takes it up a notch in the scare tactics department. If you’re looking to really spook everyone - think IT, Halloween, and Freddy vs. Jason - these mature Halloween decorations are for you! http://ow.ly/f3xU30funA5
- You could always sit outside your cabin, RV, or home “pretending” to be a scary mannequin. Then, when people walk up to the door to trick-or-treat, you can pop up and frighten them! We know it’ll get ‘em every time!
We want to know: what are your favorite go-to Halloween decorations?
September 21, 2017
Good Time of Year For Apple Picking
We love this time of year. It’s all about family, togetherness, wonderful weather, cozy sweaters, mugs of hot tea - and apple picking! Here are some interesting apple facts: There are over 2,500 different types of apples grown in the United States and they are grown in all 50 states! However, the crabapple is the ONLY type of apple that is native to the U.S..
They say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Apples, a member of the rose family of plants, are fat-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free, and a great source of fiber! They’re convenient to store, to pack, and to eat! Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit but, once they do, they’re the gift that keeps on giving; the average lifespan of an apple trees is 100 years!
We’re jumping on the apple bandwagon and are excited to make some delicious homemade recipes this season: applesauce, apple pie, apple fritters, apple tart, apple crisp, apple turnovers, apple cider, baked apples, oh the possibilities are endless!
In order to make your recipe taste great, though, you need to use the best apples. But how do you pick the perfect apple? We’ll tell you….
- Choose firm apples. The firmer the apple, the better the fruit will hold up when you cook it.
- The apples nearest the outside of the tree are the ones that ripen first.
- Don’t just pull on the apple to remove it. Gently twist it off of the tree.
- Once you remove an apple from a tree, they’re done ripening!
Let us leave you with this delicious recipe. Enjoy!
MICROWAVE BAKED APPLES (For the full recipe, click here)
1. Cut off top 1/2 inch from each apple. With melon baller, core through stem ends without breaking through bottom.
2. Place in a glass pie plate; sprinkle with sugar and spices.
3. Cover. Microwave on Medium-High for 8 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Add toppings and Enjoy!
September 21, 2017
Fall Is In The Air
Fall is in the air - and we couldn’t be happier! Fall foods, fall fun; there are so many reasons to fall in love with fall.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Weather / Foliage - The crispness in the air and the colors of the leaves changing - it’s a wonderful sight to see, and feel! Take out your sweaters, mugs of tea, and good books. It’s time to get cozy!
- Holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving - need we say more? Halloween is fun, creative, spooky, and exciting. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to reflect, give thanks, spend time with family and friends, and eat!
- PSL - Pumpkin Spice Latte is, for some people, the reason for the season! Pumpkin here, pumpkin there, pumpkin flavor is literally EVERYWHERE during the fall! It’s a hot debate amongst friends because you either love it, or you don’t! Where does your vote “fall”?
- Apple Picking - Looking to make homemade applesauce or delicious apple pie? Use fresh apples - pick them straight off the tree!
New season, new to-do list:
- Health Checklist - This is the perfect time to schedule appointments with your Internist (for your annual physical), Dentist (for your biannual cleaning), and Opthamologist (to check your vision).
- Fall Cleaning - Much like spring, fall is a great time for a deep clean and thorough purge. Go through your fridge, freezer, and pantry and throw out expired foods. Go through your closet, and your kids’ closets, and take out clothes that are too big, too small, or out-dated. You can also pick through your kids’ toys & books and remove any that aren’t age-appropriate anymore. Then, you can donate EVERYTHING in your “no-go” pile to a worthy cause! It will also make more room in your house for all of the Christmas and Hanukkah gifts that will show up in December!
We want to know: What is YOUR favorite part of fall
September 10, 2017
Ahhh, can you feel it? The hot summer weather is starting to dissipate and the fall weather is very slowly peeking in. With less humidity and cooler weather, it’s the perfect storm - for outdoor activities! One of our favorites is hiking! All you need is a friend (because you should never go alone!), your sneakers, some sunscreen, and water. Never been hiking before? You’re missing out! And let us tell you why….
- It’s Informal & Affordable! You don’t HAVE to go on a designated path - you can just start walking. As long as you’re in a safe area that you’re familiar with, you can hike along a trail, in the woods, along a street, wherever your legs may take you!
- You Can Go At Your Own Pace! Pump those arms and take long, hard strides, or take your time and go slow - enjoying the scenery.
- You Can Do It As A Family! This is probably the most important reason that we love hiking! You can strap the little ones in a carrier on your back, and let the older kids hike along with you. We guarantee this is a family fun event that everyone will want to get involved in.
- You Gain Mental Clarity! There is a reason it is called the “great outdoors” - because it really is great, for the mind, body, and spirit! You (and your family) get away from technology, electronics, and chaos, even just for a short time. This can help you think more clearly, increase your energy level, and elevate your mood. It’s a win-win-win!
- It’s Great Exercise! Hiking, like walking or running, is great for your bones, your muscles, and your heart - plus you’re burning calories!
- It’s Fun! You get to explore new plants and trees. You may see some animals that you weren’t expecting to come into contact with. Tread lightly, though - only touch plants or wildlife if you know what they are. You wouldn’t want to ruin your hike by getting poison ivy!
August 31, 2017
We are swooping in with today’s blog post and we hope your sweet tooth is ready! Whether you’re here with the kids, family members, or friends (old or new!), there comes a time mid-morning, or mid-afternoon, or the evening - heck, it can happen ANY time of day - where you just need a little something sweet! It’s between formal meal times, but you’re having a full-blown snack attack. What do you do? We’re here giving you some ammunition (AKA camping snack ideas) to curb that attack and satisfy your sweet tooth at ANY time of day.
One Ingredient Wonders:
- Marshmallows - You can roast ‘em, toast ‘em, or eat them right out of the bag! However you decide, keep these close by....you’ll need them for some other snack ideas further down our list. ;)
- Fruit - Since they are naturally sweet, fruits are a delicious, easy-to-prepare snack idea. Sliced apples, chunks of pineapple, or a handful of grapes are a very healthy and very tasty dessert option.
- S’mores - Remember those marshmallows from above? Grab them because we’re talking about the #1 camping snack staple. We talk about this one on our blog OFTEN because, well, it’s delicious! This snack is SO versatile, SO easy to prepare, and SO fun to eat!
- Trail Mix - Another versatile option, you can basically throw ANYTHING - such as nuts, dried fruits, or chocolates - into the mix. Use raw nuts and dark chocolate for a healthier option, or ‘go crazy’ with M&M’s, peanut butter chips, honey roasted almonds...the possibilities are endless (and yummy!).
Easy as 1-2-3:
- No-Bake Cookies - (1) Ripe bananas, (2) uncooked oats, and (3) chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, or nuts. You can make a whole boat- RV-load so they’re easily accessible and ready to grab & eat when you’re in the mood!
- Rice Krispies Treats - Grab those marshmallows again! For this recipe, you only need (1) butter, (2) Rice Krispies cereal, and (3) those marshmallows to make this ooey-gooey sweet treat that EVERYONE loves!
Tell us - what is your go-to to satisfy your snack attacks?
August 18, 2017
Beginner Barbecuing Questions
Barbecuing is a simple and delicious way to prepare a variety of meals and side dishes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. When you’re camping, it’s the perfect way to cook - and the easiest way to clean up! But, what if you’ve never fired up the grill before? Have no fear - we’re here with a (BB)Q & A to answer all of your beginner barbecuing questions so you can man (or woman) the grill like a true pro!
Q: How hot should I make the grill?
A: According to Executive chef Erwin Manzano of Morton’s the Steakhouse, you should make sure the grill is as hot as you can get it! A hot grill is what seals in the juice and creates the crust on the outside. If you're using charcoal, make sure they're red hot but not flaring up.
Q: Do I need to clean the grill every time I use it?
A: YES!! Ray Sheehan of Neptune, creator of the BBQ Buddha line of sauces and rubs, says to start out with a good, clean grill! When you use a wire brush, pieces can break off, get stuck on the grill, and then end up in your food. (Not a great seasoning for your steak!) Instead, use aluminum foil, a steam cleaner, or a bamboo grill brush with rustproof brass bristles after every BBQ session.
(source: http://ow.ly/SNaG30eui85, http://ow.ly/L4Qs30eujXb)
Q: Do I need to season my meat before I cook it?
A: That’s completely up to you! You really should consider seasoning or marinating your meat - especially if you’re using lean proteins with little or no fat (aka flavor). A marinade acts as a tenderizer and brings out the meat’s natural flavors before grilling. According to the USDA, you can marinate: poultry for up to two days in the refrigerator, beef for up to 24 hours, and fish for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or, use a dry rub!
(source: http://ow.ly/M4xg30euLOO, http://ow.ly/3MBU30euLQ4)
So, what are you waiting for? Get to grillin’!
August 17, 2017
Solar Eclipse Coming
Monday, August 21, 2017 is a very special day! It’s been 38 years since a total solar eclipse was visible in the United States. And it will be another 7 years until it happens again! While it’s not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime, it will only happen ‘once in a blue moon’ so it’s definitely a big deal! And what better way to experience this celestial event than while camping in the great outdoors? Here are some facts and tips to get your geared up for the 2017 solar eclipse!
So, what is a solar eclipse? When the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, we experience a solar eclipse. For the 2017 solar eclipse, a path, stretching from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina, will experience a TOTAL solar eclipse - where the moon completely covers the sun and there is total darkness (totality). The rest of the country will experience a partial solar eclipse - where the moon covers most, but not all, of the sun’s disk.
Unless you are in the exact location during a moment of totality, you NEVER want to look directly at the sun during a solar eclipse. If you do, you could severely injure your eyes and permanently hurt your vision. You can safely view an eclipse of the sun with direct viewing, using special eclipse glasses/shades, or indirect viewing, where you project an image of the sun onto a screen. Click here for more information on viewing the solar eclipse safely: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety.
So, what can you expect? If only for a few minutes, wherever you are in the United States, the sky will darken - around 9am PDT if you’re on the west coast, around 4pm EDT if you’re on the east coast, or somewhere in between as the shadow of the moon travels from west to east!
Happy Solar Eclipsing, everyone!
Watch live video streams of this awesome event at from locations across the country at https://www. nasa.gov/eclipselive.
Find more information about the 2017 total solar eclipse at the following links:
August 3, 2017
Get Ready For Your Closeup
Hello August! The summer is flying by and we’re having a blast with all of our camping families. Everyone is busy laughing, playing, and making amazing memories that will last forever and, with all of the pictures that our guests are always taking, they definitely WILL last forever! Documenting your camping vacations is a wonderful way to remember all of the amazing activities, events, and adventures that you take part in each camping season. You can look back and see how your family has changed and how much your kids have grown.
You already have a beautiful backdrop at our resort - so we’re coming in with some simple tips to help you take the perfect family pictures on your next camping adventure at our resort.
Tip #1: LIGHTING. It’s all about utilizing natural light, so try to take your pictures outside! Wait for the beautiful sunset or, if you’re taking a picture midday, make sure you’re not in the shadow of a tree or building.
Tip #2: CLOTHING. No need to go all matchy-matchy for your pictures. Your best bet is to select colors or patterns that compliment each other. In fact, think of what will look best in your living room - you may want to transform the best picture into a canvas to decorate your home!
Tip #3: KEEP IT NATURAL. Like the lighting tip, keep the atmosphere of the shoot natural. Posing everyone for the “perfect” picture can be exhausting and virtually impossible. Let the kids play around and have fun. The grins in these pictures are more natural than any “cheese” smile you’ll have to force them to give.
We’ll leave you with one final tip - create a photo book each camping season! They are so simple to make (a few clicks of the mouse & it’s done!) and are such a great way to keep all of your awesome pictures organized and easy to share with everyone!
We would love to see the pictures that you take out our resort. Remember to share them with us on our Facebook page!
August 2, 2017
Are We There Yet
Whether you’re traveling by train, plane, or automobile, the travel to get to your vacation spot can seem endless! “Are we there yet? How much longer? I’m hungry! I’m bored!” are just a handful of the comments you’ll hear from the backseat on your journey. While you’re on your way to your stay at our resort, you have to find creative, time-consuming ways to pass the time and keep everyone engaged. We’re popping in today to give you some of our best tips on keeping the kids, adults, and pets occupied on the way to your next camping adventure at our resort!
Electronic gadgets may seem obvious but they really are a great distraction while you’re in the car or plane. Remember to grab your laptop, smartphone, handheld gaming device, or tablet AND their chargers! If you have wifi, the kids can watch videos, tv shows, and movies. Otherwise, download some games - even some educational ones - so they have plenty to choose from.
Other great options for your car or plane ride includes books, games, coloring books, and crayons. Coloring provides fun for all ages (literally - they now make adult coloring books, too!) and a book can take you on a mini adventure, all while you’re just sitting in your seat!
I Spy & I’m Going on a Picnic are awesome interactive games that everyone can participate in. Explore your surroundings, work on your memorization skills, and we’re sure you’ll get in some serious laughs, too.
Food, drinks, and snacks are a definite must if you’re traveling with kids, adults, or pets - especially on a longer ride. You can keep water, fruit, and healthy sandwiches and snacks cold in a cooler so they’re easily accessible on your journey. Is it just us or are snacks a great distraction for kids of all ages?
But the best part of your journey to your next camping adventure at our resort? Your upcoming camping adventure at our resort! Get ready for fun in the sun, activities with your family and friends, and memories galore - that makes the car, RV, or plane ride worth it!
July 20, 2017
Staying Cool In The Summertime
We LOVE the summer! School’s out, no homework, no crazy schedules, it’s camping season, and the weather is, well, amazing! (Minus the ‘occasional’ rain shower) While you’re at our resort, there are plenty of activities to keep you cool - including the pool! The kids could stay in there all day, couldn’t they? And for good reason! Marco Polo, splash dance, water volleyball, or just splashing around with friends under the hot summer sun can be the BEST.DAY.EVER!
So, other than turning on the trusty air conditioning, how can you stay cool this season?
- STAY HYDRATED. When you get overheated, your body can dehydrate rather quickly. And dehydration can lead to some major health issues. Caffeinated and alcoholic beverages can dehydrate you so drink them in moderation! The best way to hydrate - DRINK WATER, and a lot of it - which will rehydrate the body & also cool you down!
- EAT & DRINK COLD THINGS. A bowl of hot soup, a cup of tea, or a steaming dinner plate are definitely not summer-friendly food items! Keep your food and drink choices COOL! Popsicles, cold soups, smoothies, salads, and frozen fruits are just a few of the foods that can keep your belly full and your body cool! This is the perfect season for ice cream...with all the fixings!
- FIND THE SHADE. There are plenty of reasons to be out and about around the resort. But, when the sun is strong, you must also spend some time in the shade. Although the temperature may not be that different, it could feel 10 - 15 degrees COOLER in the shade. Plus, too much sun isn’t good for your skin. (Remember your sunscreen - EVERY day - even when it looks cloudy!)
We have so many exciting things happening around the resort this season. Bring your friends, your family, and your pets - exciting memories are just around the corner!
July 13, 2017
We Want Smore
We know that making s’mores is considered a camping cliche, but they are just SO good we had to dedicate (at least) one camping blog post to this delicious dessert! Ooey gooey toasted marshmallows sandwiched between 2 graham crackers with a (generous) piece of heavenly chocolate - it’s the perfect snack for morning, noon, or night.
Rumor has it this decadent treat was actually invented by the Girl Scouts! (Thanks, Girls!) S’mores bring family and friends together. They are easy to make on a grill, campfire, or in the oven! And, while the “standard s’more” is an oldie but goodie, there are some simple ways to shake up the traditional version. You won’t want to miss these:
● ADD PEANUT BUTTER. If you’re a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup lover, this version may be obvious to you! But, have you tried it yet? You should! You will LOVE the combo of creamy PB & melted chocolate!
● ADD PRETZELS. Can’t decide between salty and sweet? That’s OK - with this version of the s’more, you don’t have to! You can add a pretzel in the marshmallow-y middle of the traditional s’more or you can substitute the pretzels in for the graham crackers!! Brilliant, right?
● USE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. Everyone loves a chocolate chip cookie! Make your s’more extra chocolate-y by substituting chocolate chip cookies in place of the graham crackers. Hold on to your sweet tooth - it may not be able to handle this super delicious s’mores version!
● USE OREOS. Smooth, toasted marshmallows and rich, melted chocolate sandwiched between the world’s favorite sandwich cookie - the Oreo! Need we say more?
Whether you choose a traditional s’mores recipe or you add in some extra pizzaz, your tastebuds will thank you! And, if we’ve sparked your interest, here are over 60 s’more recipes that will have you begging for...s’more! After all, when you’re dealing with melted chocolate, the s’more, the merrier! (We can’t stop!) Who’s ready for dessert?
July 7, 2017
Finding Fitness In the Great Outdoors
Hello Camping Family! We hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July holiday and are soaking in the long, dog days of summer. Isn’t camping season the best?
Families and friends visit our resort to relax, unwind, and spend quality time together! And where does everyone always end up? Around the ‘kitchen’ table because we all love to laugh, share memories, and EAT! There are TONS of delicious camping recipes out there (some that we plan to share at a later date) but balance is key to a healthy lifestyle.
So we’re coming at you with ways for you to find your fitness while you’re visiting our resort!
● Take a hike (or walk)!
Hiking is a great way to explore, and a great way to burn calories - on average, 250 calories per hour. Hiking and walking can improve your cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength. It’s also a great way to exercise your mind and clear your thoughts!
● Go for a run!
If your body can handle this high-impact workout, running is a great cardio option! The benefits of running include stress relief, weight loss, and it has been shown to decrease your risk of certain diseases. And, like hiking, it’s a great way to explore your surroundings!
● Take a dip in the pool or lake!
Ahhh, swimming! It’s low-impact so it’s easy on the joints and can be a great workout option for people of all ages. It’s a great total body workout, good for your heart, and can help tone all of your muscles!
● Play games!
Watch your kids play together and you can learn some great workout tips. A friendly game of tag, a little basketball, riding bikes….They’re constantly running and jumping, lunging and squatting; they sure do keep it interesting. Follow in their footsteps - literally!
The most important thing to take away from this post is to choose a workout option that you’ll enjoy - that way it won’t feel like “work”. Stay active, have fun, and Happy Camping!
June 30, 2017
Pin-Worthy Extravagant Extras
We are in the home stretch of our “Pin-worthy Camping Tips” Series and we hope you've been enjoying! Let us know if you tried any of the delicious camping recipes, family-friendly camping games, or if you’ve picked up any of our must-have camping items. Today, we’re coming in with even more tips to get you geared up and ready for your next camping vacation with us. We are bringing you Extravagant Extras! You don’t NEED them on your next camping trip - but we think you’ll really WANT some of them! You can pin your favorite tips to your own Pinterest Boards so they’re always just a click away!
Here are our Pin-Worthy Camping Tips - Part 4: Extravagant Extras!
1. We’re going to start our tips with 29 snuggly things to keep you comfy in the great outdoors! Waterproof socks, a wearable sleeping bag, and an inflatable chair are just the beginning of this awesome list. Click to stay cozy, everyone!
2. Cool gadgets are where it’s at! This list includes 13 items you never knew you always needed on your camping vacations. They make a great gift for the camping lover in your life, or something you can gift yourself just because!
3. An electric mosquito repellent device, glow in the dark rope, and flashlight shoes are among the cool camping gadgets and unique camping products in this Pin-worthy post.
4. Clever & convenient is the theme of this Pin-worthy list! One of our favorites from this bunch has to be the inflatable solar light that is lightweight, rechargeable, waterproof, and eco-friendly. So cool!
5. A kayak that can fold up to the size of a briefcase? A glowing, inflatable bubble tent? While these extravagant extras may not be practical, they sure do look awesome!
Remember to save these Pin-worthy extravagant extras and share them with your family & friends. Then, leave us a comment and let us know which items you plan to bring on your next camping adventure at our resort!