July 20, 2017
Staying Cool In The Summertime
We LOVE the summer! School’s out, no homework, no crazy schedules, it’s camping season, and the weather is, well, amazing! (Minus the ‘occasional’ rain shower) While you’re at our resort, there are plenty of activities to keep you cool - including the pool! The kids could stay in there all day, couldn’t they? And for good reason! Marco Polo, splash dance, water volleyball, or just splashing around with friends under the hot summer sun can be the BEST.DAY.EVER!
So, other than turning on the trusty air conditioning, how can you stay cool this season?
- STAY HYDRATED. When you get overheated, your body can dehydrate rather quickly. And dehydration can lead to some major health issues. Caffeinated and alcoholic beverages can dehydrate you so drink them in moderation! The best way to hydrate - DRINK WATER, and a lot of it - which will rehydrate the body & also cool you down!
- EAT & DRINK COLD THINGS. A bowl of hot soup, a cup of tea, or a steaming dinner plate are definitely not summer-friendly food items! Keep your food and drink choices COOL! Popsicles, cold soups, smoothies, salads, and frozen fruits are just a few of the foods that can keep your belly full and your body cool! This is the perfect season for ice cream...with all the fixings!
- FIND THE SHADE. There are plenty of reasons to be out and about around the resort. But, when the sun is strong, you must also spend some time in the shade. Although the temperature may not be that different, it could feel 10 - 15 degrees COOLER in the shade. Plus, too much sun isn’t good for your skin. (Remember your sunscreen - EVERY day - even when it looks cloudy!)
We have so many exciting things happening around the resort this season. Bring your friends, your family, and your pets - exciting memories are just around the corner!
July 13, 2017
We Want Smore
We know that making s’mores is considered a camping cliche, but they are just SO good we had to dedicate (at least) one camping blog post to this delicious dessert! Ooey gooey toasted marshmallows sandwiched between 2 graham crackers with a (generous) piece of heavenly chocolate - it’s the perfect snack for morning, noon, or night.
Rumor has it this decadent treat was actually invented by the Girl Scouts! (Thanks, Girls!) S’mores bring family and friends together. They are easy to make on a grill, campfire, or in the oven! And, while the “standard s’more” is an oldie but goodie, there are some simple ways to shake up the traditional version. You won’t want to miss these:
● ADD PEANUT BUTTER. If you’re a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup lover, this version may be obvious to you! But, have you tried it yet? You should! You will LOVE the combo of creamy PB & melted chocolate!
● ADD PRETZELS. Can’t decide between salty and sweet? That’s OK - with this version of the s’more, you don’t have to! You can add a pretzel in the marshmallow-y middle of the traditional s’more or you can substitute the pretzels in for the graham crackers!! Brilliant, right?
● USE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. Everyone loves a chocolate chip cookie! Make your s’more extra chocolate-y by substituting chocolate chip cookies in place of the graham crackers. Hold on to your sweet tooth - it may not be able to handle this super delicious s’mores version!
● USE OREOS. Smooth, toasted marshmallows and rich, melted chocolate sandwiched between the world’s favorite sandwich cookie - the Oreo! Need we say more?
Whether you choose a traditional s’mores recipe or you add in some extra pizzaz, your tastebuds will thank you! And, if we’ve sparked your interest, here are over 60 s’more recipes that will have you begging for...s’more! After all, when you’re dealing with melted chocolate, the s’more, the merrier! (We can’t stop!) Who’s ready for dessert?
July 7, 2017
Finding Fitness In the Great Outdoors
Hello Camping Family! We hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July holiday and are soaking in the long, dog days of summer. Isn’t camping season the best?
Families and friends visit our resort to relax, unwind, and spend quality time together! And where does everyone always end up? Around the ‘kitchen’ table because we all love to laugh, share memories, and EAT! There are TONS of delicious camping recipes out there (some that we plan to share at a later date) but balance is key to a healthy lifestyle.
So we’re coming at you with ways for you to find your fitness while you’re visiting our resort!
● Take a hike (or walk)!
Hiking is a great way to explore, and a great way to burn calories - on average, 250 calories per hour. Hiking and walking can improve your cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength. It’s also a great way to exercise your mind and clear your thoughts!
● Go for a run!
If your body can handle this high-impact workout, running is a great cardio option! The benefits of running include stress relief, weight loss, and it has been shown to decrease your risk of certain diseases. And, like hiking, it’s a great way to explore your surroundings!
● Take a dip in the pool or lake!
Ahhh, swimming! It’s low-impact so it’s easy on the joints and can be a great workout option for people of all ages. It’s a great total body workout, good for your heart, and can help tone all of your muscles!
● Play games!
Watch your kids play together and you can learn some great workout tips. A friendly game of tag, a little basketball, riding bikes….They’re constantly running and jumping, lunging and squatting; they sure do keep it interesting. Follow in their footsteps - literally!
The most important thing to take away from this post is to choose a workout option that you’ll enjoy - that way it won’t feel like “work”. Stay active, have fun, and Happy Camping!