January 12, 2018
How To Beat The Winter Blues
We hope you enjoyed Part 1 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. At this point in the season, we’re still willing to try just about anything to stay warm, cozy, and sane! We’re trying to appreciate this chilly season while dreaming of the colorful, warmer days of spring.
Since it’s still so cold outside, we want to share more tips and tricks to help you keep your ‘cool’ during winter. We’re here with Ways to Beat the Winter Blues: Part 2.
- STAY ACTIVE! Movement creates warmth in the body; it’s true! When you’re cooped up inside, it’s easy to feel unmotivated. You will feel better physically and mentally when you stay active. If you can’t get outside or to the gym, get in a workout indoors! Walk the mall or follow a free YouTube workout video. Put on some music and dance with the kids (like nobody's watching)!
- LOOK AT OLD PICTURES & VIDEOS! Nostalgia warms the heart. Sitting around the kitchen table with family and friends reminiscing about the past feeds your soul. Try it!
- EAT RIGHT! It’s easy to get into a slump. Comfort foods taste pretty darn good - hence the term ‘comfort’ foods. And, like we always say, once in a while, it’s OK. Moderation is definitely key. Make a grocery list with lots of fruits, veggies, healthy fats, and protein and only shop off of your list! Also, don’t go shopping hungry. When you make a meal, prepare enough to last a few days so you have leftovers easily accessible. You feel better from top to bottom when you’re eating good-for-you foods!
- ENJOY HOT FOODS & DRINKS! A great way to warm the body? From the inside out! Hot cocoa, tea, crockpot meals...they’re all delicious ways to warm up. Stick with clean, healthy options that will keep you feeling light and fresh!
We hope you enjoyed Parts 1 & 2 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. Stay tuned; we’ll see you next time with our third and final installment!
January 4, 2018
Cold Winter Weather Blues
Let us start off by saying: Happy New Year to all of our awesome camping families! We are very excited for 2018 and we hope you are too!
We’re getting really sick (no pun intended!) of this cold winter weather, but spring is still over two months away! That means a lot more snow, ice, and frigid temps. Winter can be, well, sad and dampen the mood. The gloomy, cold weather can affect your mind, your body, and your spirit! So, we’re going to try to help you fight the funk!
We’re here with Part 1 of our new blog series, Ways to Beat the Winter Blues.
- MEDITATE! Even if only for a few minutes when you first wake up in the morning, you will benefit from a moment of silence and reminder to be more mindful, grateful, and present. There are apps that you can download or books you can purchase if you need some guidance in this department. Even if you just sit with your legs crossed, your eyes closed, and try to clear your mind, you’re meditating!
- STAY CONNECTED! Text, call, or use social media to stay in touch with family and friends around the country. It’s easy to want to pull away (especially from those living in warmer climates!), but it will definitely brighten your mood to catch up with people, near and far.
- PLAN INDOOR ACTIVITIES! Cards, board games, tackling a DIY home project that you’ve been avoiding, starting a new book….these are all great ways to plan your time indoors!
- STICK WITH A ROUTINE! It’s easy to be lazy and want to stay in your pajamas all day. And, once in a while, that’s totally OK! But you’re more likely to feel better when you keep with your normal routine. Give yourself a purpose to get up, get dressed, and leave the house. You’ll be happy you did!
We hope you enjoyed Part 1 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. Stay tuned; we’ll see you next time with Part 2!